Northshore School District serves students through a variety of programs, one of which is the Highly Capable Program. As HiCap students transition from elementary to middle school, a “jump” in sixth grade math standards often occurs. This most frequently happens when:
Current fifth grade students newly qualify as HiCap in the content area of Math during their fifth grade year. The new math qualification allows these students to enroll in Challenge Math 7 as sixth graders.
Current fifth grade students who are already receiving in-class math services often enroll in Challenge Math 7 as sixth graders.
In both cases, Challenge Math 7 will teach math at Grade 7 and Grade 8 standards. While our department does not require that students participate in summer courses, we also understand that some families of HiCap Math students may want to access Math 6 standards and curriculum over the summer.
The following video provides directions for accessing the Core Focus instructional materials for Math 6. In order to access the video, your student will need to log in using their Northshore-provided Google account.
Video: Core Focus On Math
What is covered in Math 6?
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to divide fractions by fractions
- Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers
- Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems
- Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions
- Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities
- Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables
More information regarding middle school math can be found on the Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment (CIA) Department's website: Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment.
If your student wants to sharpen their math skills over the summer, the CIA Department recommends these online tools: