This page contains answers to commonly-asked questions about Highly Capable Services at Northshore School District. We regularly make additions to this page to reflect the needs of our parent community. This page was last updated on Friday, September 20.
Note: Algebra Readiness testing is administered by the Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment (CIA) Department. If you have questions regarding Algebra Readiness testing, visit the CIA Department's Frequently Asked Questions page: Algebra Readiness FAQ.
- What is differentiated instruction?
- What support is given to teachers who provide differentiated instruction?
- Is there a cost to participate in Highly Capable programs?
- Does my student have to change schools?
- Why does HiCap use Smarter Balanced Assessment scores from the previous school year?
- Are there any online resources for learning math over the summer?
- Do "highly capable," "advanced learner," and "gifted" all mean the same thing?
- What types of resources are provided to students in the In-Class Model?
- My student is not enrolled in Northshore School District, but I want them to participate in Highly Capable testing. What should I do?
- My student passed the screener, but I never completed the permission form. Can they still be tested?
- I gave permission for my student to test, but they were absent during IOWA testing. How will the department determine if my student is eligible for Highly Capable Services?
- What math class will my middle school student take?
- Is HiCap Math the same as Algebra Readiness?
- How does Algebra Readiness affect my student's math course enrollment?
- How will a HiCap Math designation affect my student's science course enrollment?
- I heard someone talk about "triple jump" math and "double jump" math. What does that mean?
- Should my student take an accelerated math course over the summer?
- How does a HiCap Reading designation affect my student's course options?
- Is transportation to EAP sites provided?
- How can I request a new EAP site?
- Could my EAP student's sibling attend an EAP site?
- If my neighborhood school became an EAP site for 2019-2020, could we transfer back to our home school?
- What is my student's EAP site?
- I missed the EAP Information Night. Where can I find the video recording of the event?
- My student is new to EAP this year. How do we arrange for transportation to their EAP site?
Still have questions?
If your question wasn't answered on this page, send us an email at email@example.com. To expedite your request, please include your student's full name and student ID number in your email.