Highly Capable Services
As part of the HiCap Department’s ongoing effort to improve our processes, we would like to invite all parents whose students took part in the screening and assessment process during the 2019-2020 school year and parents of Highly Capable students who received services during the 2019-2020 school year to take a few minutes to provide feedback through our Parent Satisfaction Survey. We are especially interested in hearing about your experiences throughout the online learning transition. Your responses will be used to inform and shape HiCap decision making for the next school year and beyond, so please be sure to complete the survey no later than June 19, 2020.
Welcome families! Here's a quick overview of the information you can find on the NSD HiCap web pages:
- Service Models: Here are descriptions of Northshore's Highly Capable programs.
- Eligibility Process: This is the much-awaited information regarding the 2019-2020 Highly Capable Eligibility Process for current Northshore students.
- Non-Northshore Students: If your student is not currently enrolled in Northshore school district or if your student enrolled after our mid-October cutoff date, visit our Non-Northshore Student page
- Opt Out: Not interested in Highly Capable testing this year? By completing this form, we'll know that your family does not wish to participate in this year's Highly Capable Eligibility Process.
Website trouble? If you find any broken links, typos, or other website-related issues, report them here: Website Feedback.
Let's keep in touch. When our department needs to reach a large group of families at once, we use Northshore's mass notification system. To protect student privacy, we only use the contact information Northshore has on file. We don't want you to miss out on any updates, so this is a good time to make sure that Northshore has your correct contact information. You can do this in ParentVUE or by checking with the main office at your student's school.
We remain thankful for your partnership - looking forward to a great school year!
Highly Capable Department
Highly Capable Services are designed for students identified as advanced learners through cognitive and/or academic performance.
We provide services and offer programs for students whose needs are beyond the scope of the general education classroom. Our services are designed to provide a challenging, integrated, and enriched curriculum.
Students are identified for Highly Capable services in a two-step process: universal screening and assessment.
- Whole-child focus. Support for academic, creative, and social-emotional development fostering a growth mindset.
- Different work, not more work. Developing innovative, creative, and critical thinkers through access to advanced learning standards with appropriate depth and rigor.
- Not a one-size-fits-all. Highly Capable qualified students have diverse needs and unique challenges, in addition to high cognitive capability and/or academic achievement. Often this requires the collaboration of teams across programs to meet the needs of individual learners.
- Equitable access. Ability and talent are equally distributed, opportunity is not. All students, regardless of race, income, culture, special needs, or support program, have the potential to qualify for advanced learning services when given equitable opportunity with culturally and linguistically accessible instruments and an unbiased qualification system.
Director of Accelerated Models and Programs
Instructional Support Specialist
Instructional Support Specialist
Student Data Analyst
3330 Monte Villa Parkway
Bothell, WA 98021
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts so that you don't miss any communication!
Fourth and fifth grade standards require the use of middle school math curriculum. This year, the Northshore School District is implementing a new middle school math curriculum.
Dr. Hertzog planned and facilitated a full day of professional development for teachers, K-12, of advanced learners.