Highly Capable Services
Refer a student and Give Permission to Participate (any student who does not have a HiCap designation and any single subject qualified student who would like to be assessed in the second subject can be referred for screening and assessment.) Referrals for testing in 2022-2023 will open August 2022 and will Close October 14th at 4:00pm.
Please note: we have combined these 2 forms (Referral form and Permission to Participate form) into a single form. You may refer your student and give permission to test in the same form.
- Service Models: Here are descriptions of Northshore's Highly Capable programs.
- Eligibility Process: Highly Capable Eligibility Process for current Northshore students.
- Non-Northshore Students: If your student is not currently enrolled in Northshore school district or if your student enrolled after our mid-October cutoff date, visit our Non-Northshore Student page.
- Opt Out: Not interested in Highly Capable testing this year? By completing this form, we'll know that your family does not wish to participate in this year's Highly Capable Eligibility Process.
Website trouble? If you find any broken links, typos, or other website-related issues, report them here: Website Feedback.
Let's keep in touch. When our department needs to reach a large group of families at once, we use Northshore's mass notification system. To protect student privacy, we only use the contact information Northshore has on file. We don't want you to miss out on any updates, so this is a good time to make sure that Northshore has your correct contact information. You can do this in ParentVUE or by checking with the main office at your student's school.
We remain thankful for your partnership - looking forward to a great school year!
Highly Capable Department
Highly Capable Services are designed for students identified as advanced learners through cognitive and/or academic performance.
We provide services and offer programs for students whose needs are beyond the scope of the general education classroom. Our services are designed to provide a challenging, integrated, and enriched curriculum.
Students are identified for Highly Capable services in a two-step process: universal screening and assessment.
- Whole-child focus. Support for academic, creative, and social-emotional development fostering a growth mindset.
- Different work, not more work. Developing innovative, creative, and critical thinkers through access to advanced learning standards with appropriate depth and rigor.
- Not a one-size-fits-all. Highly Capable qualified students have diverse needs and unique challenges, in addition to high cognitive capability and/or academic achievement. Often this requires the collaboration of teams across programs to meet the needs of individual learners.
- Equitable access. Ability and talent are equally distributed, opportunity is not. All students, regardless of race, income, culture, special needs, or support program, have the potential to qualify for advanced learning services when given equitable opportunity with culturally and linguistically accessible instruments and an unbiased qualification system.
Assistant Superintendent South Region
Assistant Director of Accelerated Models and Programs
Instructional Support Specialist
3330 Monte Villa Parkway
Bothell, WA 98021
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts so that you don't miss any communication!
Fourth and fifth grade standards require the use of middle school math curriculum. This year, the Northshore School District is implementing a new middle school math curriculum.