"Essential Learning Begins Prior To Kindergarten"
Concerned About Your Child's Development In These Areas?
- Speech & Language Skills
- Motor Skills
- Cognitive Skills
- Social-Emotional Skills
- Self-Help Skills
Call 425.408.5570 for information.
Your child may be eligible for a free screening or an evaluation to find out if they should receive free services.
Screening and evaluations are conducted by Northshore School District Specialists: Speech and Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists, Teachers and Psychologists.
Use these indicators as a guide to assess your child's development:
Speech & Language Skills
- 70-80% of speech is understandable
- Has a vocabulary of 500-1000 words
- Talks in complete sentences of 3-5 words
- Repeats words and sounds
- Speaks fairly well, using complex sentences "Daddy went to the store to buy food"
- Asks and answers who, what, when, why questions
- Enjoys singing simple songs
- Throws ball overhand, kicks a ball forward
- Climbs up and down small slide by self
- Stacks 5-7 blocks, draws a circle and square
- Enjoys playing with play dough
- Hops on one foot, jumps over object 5" high
- Runs, jumps, hops, catches a ball, and pedals a tricycle
- Stacks 10 or more blocks, threads small beads
- Listens attentively to short stories for 10 minutes
- Matches an object to a picture
- Recognizes familiar words in simple books
- Understands simple concepts-biggest, same
- Asks a lot of questions
- Follows simple directions and routines
- Enjoys playing alone but near other children
- Enjoys playing with other children briefly
- Enjoys playing with other children
- Enjoys pretending, has long attention span
- Continues one activity for 10-15 minutes
- Uses toilet with some help, can pull up pants
- Feeds self, brushes teeth
- Dresses self without much assistance