Chinese Language Program
The Chinese Language Program at Sunrise Elementary is a new districtwide choice program starting in fall 2020 for incoming first graders.
The Chinese Language Program will build students’ ability to listen, speak, read and write in Mandarin Chinese over several years. By the end of their first year, students’ ability to listen and speak in Mandarin will equate with the high-novice level of language acquisition. Students’ ability to read and write in Mandarin will equate with the low- to mid-novice level of Mandarin. The Sunrise Chinese Language Program is not an immersion program, nor is it a dual language program.
Students in the Chinese Language Program will receive content in Mandarin during English and Language Arts (speaking, listening, reading and writing). Transitions will also be taught and directed in Chinese throughout the school day. As students become more confident in their Chinese language skills, some mathematical vocabulary will be taught in Chinese starting in 3rd grade.
Students will receive English instruction during reading, writing, math, social studies, science, PE, music and library.
|Grade||% of Time in Chinese|
|1st Grade||20% (1 Hour)|
|2nd Grade||30% (1.5 Hours)|
|3rd Grade||40% (2 Hours)|
|4th Grade||50% (2.5 Hours)|
|5th Grade||50% (2.5 Hours)|
Materials being investigated for use in the Sunrise Chinese Language Program classroom include:
In addition to any purchased curriculum materials used in support of Chinese language development, students will have access to written materials such as:
- Co-created texts (books made by the teacher and students)
- Labels of objects in the classroom
- Charts, poems, etc. used in the classroom
First grade students will:
- Be able to engage in conversations about their family life, interests, and school life using
- Be able to follow directions given in Mandarin Chinese to complete classroom-based or
- home-based tasks (e.g., “Get your pencil and paper ready for math,” or “Please make your lunch.”)
- Be able to read and write Mandarin characters related to school, home, and personal
We are only accepting applications for students who will be in 1st grade during the 2020-21 school year. Incoming first graders who have demonstrated proficiency in the English and Language Arts (ELA) during their Kindergarten year are eligible for the Chinese Language Program. If you would like your student to be considered for the program, please complete the following form. First consideration for enrollment in the Sunrise Chinese Language Program is May 15. Applications submitted after May 15 will be considered on an ongoing basis as space is available.
- How many students will be accepted?
- What is the process for accepting students?
- If Sunrise is not my neighborhood school, will my student receive District transportation?
- Who is Eligible for the Chinese Language Program?
- Is this program a good fit for native Mandarin speakers?
- What is the planned future and longevity of the Chinese Language Program?