Application Process

(In-District Waiver) You live in the District and want to attend another school within the district

This information applies if you live in the Northshore School District service area but would like your child to attend a different school within Northshore School District

Each student in the district is required to attend the school designated for the geographic attendance area in which he or she resides.

If you would like your child to attend a school they are not assigned to within our district, a parent/guardian may fill out a in-district waiver application. Please review the list of schools that are at capacity and unable to accept waivers at this time.  

Please see the following documents for more details:

(Out-of-District Waiver) You live outside of the Northshore School District boundaries but would like to attend one of our schools

This information applies if you live outside of the Northshore School District and would like your child to attend a school within Northshore School District.

Any student who resides outside the district may apply to attend a school in the district. All applications for nonresident attendance will be considered on an equal basis within the parameters of Northshore School District Policy 3141 and state law. Please check the closed schools list to determine if the school you are interested in is open for Choice Transfers. 

  • Contact your resident district about their process for completing a Choice Transfer Request as the process must begin there. 
  • Complete the request and turn it in to your resident school district.
  • Your resident district will process the request and will inform you that the release has been approved or denied.  Notification will be sent to you and to NSD by the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
  • NSD wil then determine approval or denial of the transfer request and OSPI will notify you and your resident district whether your transfer request has been accepted or denied.

A parent/guardian shall apply for admission on behalf of his or her child by submitting a signed release form (choice transfer request) from the resident district in which they reside. Please contact that school district for that form.

Please see the following documents for more details:

(Choice Transfer Request) You live in the Northshore School District and want to attend a school in another district

We are sorry to see you go but understand that sometimes individual students need specific programs this district does not offer.  To attend school in another public school district, you must also apply for a transfer.

  • Contact the school district you would like your student to attend to learn when Choice Transfer applications are accepted, and if the school is open to Choice Transfers.
  • Fill out the appropriate form below.  This needs to be done each year that your student wants to transfer out of a Northshore School district school.
    • To apply to attend full-time outside of NSD, fill out the Choice Transfer Request on the state website. (If the requested district is not available on the state website or you do not have access, you may print the Choice Transfer Request or pick up one at the district office.  
      • Submit the completed form to NSD by one of the options listed below:
        • In-Person or Mail - NSD Admin c/o Student Services 3330 Monte Villa Parkway, Bothell WA 98021
        • Email
        • Fax- 425-408-7729
        • The form will be submitted to your requested district.
  • The new district will notify you if the transfer has been approved/denied.

Transportation for students on a waiver

Please remember that all waivered students are required to provide their own transportation. Transportation is not provided or guaranteed with the approval of the waiver. 

You may apply for a transportation request through the transportation department at Applications are processed the beginning of October. Waivered students will be allowed transportation through the district if space allows and from an existing stop after the yearly assessment.

Waivered students and students that are going to daycare on a bus other than their own must also apply for a transportation request that will also be assessed in October. Until the assessment, parents or the daycare providers
are responsible for the students transportation.

Where to submit waivers

Where to Submit Waiver Application Requests

Requests for in‐district attendance waiver applications and choice transfer request applications must be submitted in writing to the Office of Student Services by mail, e‐mail, fax or hand carried. 

If you are requesting to attend from another district, you will submit your choice transfer form to their office. Please contact your resident district to obtain the form and directions.

Mail or hand carry in-district and choice transfer requests to:
Northshore School District Student Services
3330 Monte Villa Parkway
Bothell, WA 98021


FAX: 425.408.7729

What if your waiver is denied?


  • If your requested school is not at capacity, please contact the principal directly. They approve and deny all waivers to their school. 
  • If your requested school is at capacity, please contact the Student Services office at 425 408 7725 or to set up a time to meet with the director of Student Services to discuss your denial. 


  • Please contact the Student Services office at 425 408 7725 or to set up a time to meet with the director of Student Services to discuss your denial. 
  • After following up with the school district, you have the right to appeal the decision to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction. All appeals to OSPI are heard by an Administrative Law Judge with OSPI's designee, Office of Administrative Hearings. Learn how the appeals process works and download the appeals form at

    This is an important notice about your child’s school district Choice Transfer or Interdistrict Agreement request. If you need this information in another language, please contact one of the Choice Coordinators listed above or OSPI (206) 616-9940 to have this translated for you at no cost.

    Esta es una notificación importante sobre la solicitud de una transferencia electiva (Choice Transfer) o de un acuerdo entre distritos (Interdistrict Agreement) del distrito escolar de su hijo. Si necesita esta información en otro idioma, por favor comuníquese con uno de los coordinadores Choice indicados arriba o con OSPI (206) 616-9940 para que le traduzcan este texto sin costo alguno para usted.

    នេះគឺជា សេចក្តីជូនដំណឹងសំខាន់មួយអំពីការស្នើសុំលើការផ្ទេរជម្រើសមណ្ឌលសាលារៀនរបស់ កូនរបស់លោកអ្នកឬកិច្ចព្រមព្រៀងអន្តរមណ្ឌល (Interdistrict Agreement) ។ប្រសិនបើលោកអ្នកត្រូវការព័ត៌មាននេះជាភាសាផ្សេងទៀតសូមទាក់ទងអ្នកសម្របសម្រួល ណាម្នាក់ក្នុងចំណោមអ្នកសម្របសម្រួលជម្រើសដែលមានក្នុងបញ្ជីខាងលើឬOSPI (206) 616-9940 ដើម្បីឱ្យគេបកប្រែសេចក្តីជូនដំណឹងនេះឧ្យលោកអ្នកដោយឥតគិតថ្លៃ។

    이것은 당신자녀의 학군의 전학선택 (Choice Transfer) 또는 학군내의 상호협정요구에 대하여
    중요한 내용입니다. 당신이 이정보들이 다른언어로 필요하다면 Choice 관계자나 OSPI (206)
    619-9940 으로 연락하시어 무료로 받으십시요.

    ਇਹ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਬੱਚੇ ਦੀ ਸਕੂਲ ਡਿਸਟ੍ਰਿਕਟ ਚੋਇਸ ਟ੍ਰਾਂਸਫਰ ਜਾਂ ਇੰਟਰ-ਡਿਸਟ੍ਰਿਕਟ ਐਗਰੀਮੈਂਟ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਦੇ ਬਾਰੇ ਇੱਕ ਮਹੱਤਵਪੂਰਨ ਨੋਟਿਸ ਹੈ। ਜੇ ਤੁਹਾਨੂੰ ਇਹ ਜਾਣਕਾਰੀ ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਵਿੱਚ ਚਾਹੀਦੀ ਹੈ, ਤਾਂ ਇਸ ਦਾ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਕਿਸੇ ਲਾਗਤ ਦੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਲਈ ਅਨੁਵਾਦ ਕਰਵਾਉਣ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰਕੇ ਉੱਪਰ ਦਿੱਤੇ ਚੋਇਸ ਕੋਆਰਡੀਨੇਟਰਾਂ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਇੱਕ ਨਾਲ ਜਾਂ OSPI (206) 616-9940 'ਤੇ ਸੰਪਰਕ ਕਰੋ।

    Настоящее уведомление является важным извещением о выборе перехода школьного округа Вашего ребенка или требования межрайонного соглашения. Если Вам необходима информация на другом языке, пожалуйста, обратитесь с просьбой получить бесплатный перевод документа к одному из координаторов выбора, указанных ниже, или же в Отдел управления общественными инструкциями (Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction — OSPI) по телефону (206) 616-9940.

    Tani waa ogeysiis muhiim ah oo ku saabsan Xulashada Wareejinta dugsiga dagmada ama codsiga Heshiiska Ka Dhexeeyo Dagmada. Haddii aad u baahan tahay in macluumaadkaan laguugu siiyo luqad kale, fadlan la xariir Iskuduweyaasha Xulashada kor ku qoran ama OSPI (206) 616-9940 si laguugu tarjamo macluumaadka lacag la'aan.

    Ito ay isang mahalagang abiso tungkol sa kahilingan ng distritong pampaaralan ng inyong anak hinggil sa Choice Transfer (Paglipat ng Choice) o Interdistrict Agreement (Kasunduan ng mga Distrito). Kung kailangan ninyo ang impormasyong ito sa ibang wika, mangyaring makipag-ugnay sa isa sa mga Choice Coordinators na nakalista sa itaas o OSPI (206) 616-9940 upang ito ay maisalin para sa inyo nang libre.

    Đây là thông báo quan trọng về Lựa Chọn Chuyển Trường trong khu vực cho con của quý vị hay yêu cầu Chuyển Trường Liên Khu Vực. Nếu quý vị cần thông tin này dịch theo ngôn ngữ khác, vui lòng liên lạc một trong những Người Phối Hợp Lựa Chọn liệt kê ở trên hay OSPI (206) 616-9940 để dịch cho quý vị miễn phí.

    这 是关于您的孩子关于学区选校转学(Choice Transfer)或跨校协议(Interdistrict Agreement)请求的重要通知。如果您需要用另一种语言读取此信息,请联系上面列出的选择协调员之一或公共教育厅厅长办公室(电话号码是: (206)616-9940)),来为您无偿提供此信息的翻译。