Early Entrance Kindergarten
Although Northshore does not encourage early entry for the vast majority of students, application for testing for early entrance is available at parent expense for students who turn 5 between September 1 and November 30. Students who turn 5 on December 1 and beyond will enter kindergarten age appropriately. The cost for testing is $200 per student.
For the 2022-23 school year:
The application for early entrance to kindergarten is now available by downloading here. If you would like a hard copy mailed to you, please contact Cathy at 425.408.7705.
The application and payment are due by June 30, 2022 to be considered for testing. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Mail payment and completed applications to: Northshore School District--Early Entrance to Kindergarten, 3330 Monte Villa Parkway, Bothell, WA 98021.
All testing will take place individually and in-person during the months of July/August 2022. Testing dates will be determined and agreed upon between parent and district tester.
Please read the Early Entrance to Kindergarten FAQs to find answers to parents' most common questions.
- What is the birthday cutoff for testing?
- What is the birthday cutoff date for registering for kindergarten without doing early entrance testing?
- What assessment areas are evaluated for early entrance to kindergarten?
- How well do children need to score on the assessment to qualify for early entrance?
- What percent of children tested qualify for early entrance?
- Where do I get the application?
- When will I know the testing dates?
- Who does the testing?
- How long does the assessment session take?
- What happens if my child cannot complete the assessment?
- Can my child take the assessment more than once?
- When will I know the results of the testing?
- How much does the testing cost?
- What if I do not live in the Northshore School district attendance area?
- When will I be able to register my child in Kindergarten?
- I had my child privately tested and/or assessed in another school disrict. Can I submit these results with the application?
- Does my child need to read and write?
- What can I do to prepare my child for the assessment?
- If my child attends a private kindergarten can they then go into the public school for 1st grade?
- What do I do if I would like my child to attend first grade early?
- What precautions will be in place to assure my student is safe during testing?