Early Entrance Kindergarten
Due to our current circumstances with COVID-19, we are currently reviewing our Early Entrance Kindergarten testing process and procedures. We will update this website if our procedures change or if we need to cancel the program for the 2020-21 school year. All applicants will be contacted when information is available.
The district is working through the challenges associated with the pandemic, including plans for the Fall and requirements regarding social distancing which significantly impact test taking. We want to ensure that all learners, families, and staff remain safe. We will have a plan for this program in early August. Thank you for your patience.
Although Northshore does not encourage early entry for the vast majority of students, application for testing for early entrance is available at parent expense for students who turn 5 between September 1 and November 30. Students who turn 5 on December 1 and beyond will enter kindergarten age appropriately.
Please read the Early Entrance to Kindergarten FAQs before completing the application.
- The application period for Early Entrance to Kindergarten is now closed. Late applications are not accepted.
- Additional early entrance information is available through the Office of Elementary Education, 425-408-7705.
- What is the birthday cutoff for testing?
- What is the birthday cutoff date for registering for kindergarten without doing early entrance testing?
- What assessment areas are evaluated for early entrance to kindergarten?
- How well do children need to score on the assessment to qualify for early entrance?
- What percent of children tested qualify for early entrance?
- Where do I get the application?
- When will I know the testing dates?
- Who does the testing?
- How long does the assessment session take?
- What happens if my child cannot complete the assessment?
- Can my child take the assessment more than once?
- When will I know the results of the testing?
- How much does the testing cost?
- What if I do not live in the Northshore School district attendance area?
- When will I be able to register my child in Kindergarten?
- I had my child privately tested and/or assessed in another school disrict. Can I submit these results with the application?
- Does my child need to read and write?
- What can I do to prepare my child for the assessment?
- If my child attends a private kindergarten can they then go into the public school for 1st grade?
- What do I do if I would like my child to attend first grade early?
- Who can I call to get updated information about testing for the 2020-21 school year?
- What precautions will be in place to assure my student is safe during testing?