Our vision of student learning for mathematics in Northshore School District for all students to build a strong conceptual foundation for mathematical thinking, providing learning opportunities in a positive, safe, and inclusive environment in which all students can confidently explore, question, create, solidify, communicate, and apply mathematical ideas. We will pursue growth for every student, endeavoring to eliminate the outcome and opportunity gaps within our culturally and cognitively diverse population. Educators will empower students to make informed and thoughtful decisions which will guide them towards becoming math-minded citizens and productive members of their community.
We envision mathematics classrooms where all students and teachers
- engage deeply in collaborative conversations and in actively learning mathematics;
- challenge, discuss, and stretch their thinking to form new connections within mathematics, across content areas and to the real world;
- think critically to solve problems, building a strong conceptual foundation for mathematical thinking and communication in multiple ways;
- have access to rigorous, equitable, diverse, and developmentally responsive curriculum that utilizes investigation and problem solving;
- use the tools of mathematics including technology flexibly and efficiently;
- show perseverance, resilience, and independence;
- are empowered to take risks and cultivate a growth mindset;
- use standards and student needs drive instructional decisions; and
- are progressing toward college and career math readiness.