Permission to Withhold Student Directory Information
Federal law prohibits school districts from releasing information found in student files without parent/guardian permission, except for what is termed Directory Information. The district does not release Directory Information for commercial or fundraising purposes but does release this information when there is a legitimate educational purpose for doing so. The items listed under Directory Information may be released in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Under the provisions of FERPA, you have the right to withhold the disclosure of Directory Information, if desired.
Directory Information includes the following:
- Student’s name
- Grade Level
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Telephone listings
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- Electronic mail address
- Degrees, honors and awards received
- Photograph and audio/video depiction
- The most recent educational agency or institution attended
- Student’s projects/artwork
- Date of birth
- Major field of study
- Dates of attendance
Please note that this form does not cover public events where media may be present outside of school hours, such as concerts, athletic activities, fairs, etc.
There are three options or levels for withholding Student Directory information for K-12 students. You may only choose one option.
- Withhold directory information from everyone (includes district and out of district requests)
- Withhold directory information from everyone except for district or district-directed purposes
- Withhold directory information from everyone except for district or district-directed purposes, or to School Support organizations as defined by Board Policy 3250
This form should be submitted annually to your student’s school office on or before October 15 of the current school year. Forms will be accepted after the deadline, but the district cannot be responsible for the release of Directory Information if the Permission to Withhold Student Directory Information form is received after the October 15 deadline of the current school year. Extractions of Directory Information to non- district persons or outside organizations will not be processed between the first day of school and October 15 of the current school year.
High School students (grades 9-12) have the additional choices of withholding the release of directory information to military only and/or post-secondary education organizations only.
The withhold directory flag will remain on your student’s record for the current school year. Families will have the opportunity to subscribe yearly. The district will honor your request to withhold the information as listed, but cannot assume responsibility for contacting you for subsequent permission to release that information. Should you initially decide to withhold Student Directory Information, you may authorize the cancellation of your request at any time during the current school year.