Week of Engagement to Honor Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month
May 24-28, 2021
Join us by using the hashtag #honorAAPIheritage
The Northshore School District is honoring AAPI Heritage Month by participating in a week of engagement during the last week of May 2021. The Racial and Educational Justice Department is leading this charge by:
- Sharing resources and supplemental lesson ideas that are age-appropriate for Northshore students in grades P-12
- Hosting an #honorAAPIheritage teach-in
- Facilitating an elementary read-aloud
- Moderating a community panel
Week of Engagement to Honor AAPI Heritage Month Events:
College instructor Randizia Crisostomo will talk to educators and staff about the foundational elements of AAPI Heritage Month, what it looks like to take action in the classroom against racism and violence toward our AAPI community, and humanizing approaches to discussing a wide range of Asian American and Pacific Islander histories and experiences in the classroom.
- Date: Monday, May 24
- Time: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Zoom Link: Northshore staff will receive the Zoom link via email
- Intended Audience: For all of Northshore’s staff
Elementary Read Aloud
Northshore educators will facilitate a pre-recorded read-aloud of two children’s books for elementary students, families, and staff.
- Date: Tuesday, May 25
- Time: 8:00 a.m. and available any time afterward
- Intended Audience: For all of Northshore's elementary students, families and staff
Various Northshore district-community members will assemble a panel to be in conversation about their experiences, what it means to care for and be in solidarity with our AAPI community, and strategies for taking ongoing action toward a just education system.
The audience will also learn about some of the work that the District is doing in relation to Ethnic Studies, ongoing justice-driven professional development, and family and community partnerships.
- Date: Friday, May 28
- Time: 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Zoom Link: https://nsd.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_HSYPyXNdSbGSXIzCaerGCQ
- Intended Audience: For all of Northshore's students, families, community members and staff