Excellence in the classroom begins with excellence in the boardroom.
Governance is the process by which the Northshore School Board, acting on behalf of the community, conducts their work to lead the district. The model used in Northshore is called Policy Governance®. In this model, the school board is responsible for:
- Setting the board’s annual strategic agenda and work plan for the year;
- Determining the board’s professional development needs;
- Determining the board’s operating rules and roles;
- Hiring and evaluating the superintendent;
- Approving the budget, as well establishing the limits of the superintendent’s authority to budget, administer finances and compensation, establish programs, and otherwise lead and manage the organization;
- Establishing the results required, the intended recipients of the results and the acceptable worth and priority for those results (including approving curriculum);
- Examining monitoring data and determining whether the superintendent has used a reasonable interpretation of board-stated policy criteria.
Goal policies outline the outcomes we seek for our students.
These policies provide detailed guidelines on how the district is to operate.
Board Structure & Process
This kind of policy outlines how the board is organized, what their collective and individual responsibilities are, and how meetings are to be structured and run.
Policies for roles provide a clear definition of accountability and the expectations for the superintendent, and the monitoring of district performance.
Some events may require the review of the administration and staff’s work under the Goal Policies and Superintendent Parameter Policies. When required, the board can review district performance, require the superintendent produce a report on performance, and/or edit any policy to ensure the district is operating correctly. The board may ask for a report on any policy even if it is not on the calendar.
- December 9, 2019 - Financial Administration
- November 25, 2019 - Budget Planning
- October 28, 2019 - Ready for Lifelong Success After Graduation
- October 14, 2019 - Instructional Programs
- October 14, 2019 - Public Reports
- October 14, 2019 - Communication to the Board
- September 23, 2019 - Instructional Programs
- September 9, 2019 - District Staff
- August 26, 2019 - Equity
- August 12, 2019 - Emergency Superintendent Succession
- August 12, 2019 - General Executive Constraints
- May 28, 2019 - Innovative, Creative, Critical Thinkers
- May 13, 2019 - Technology
- May 13, 2019 - Asset Protection
- April 22, 2019 - Facilities
- March 25, 2019 - Equity
- March 25, 2019 - Success in the Early Years
- March 11, 2019 - Technology
- February 25, 2019 - Relationships with Students,Staff, Parents and the Public
- February 25, 2019 - Responsible, Resilient, Empathetic Learners
- January 28, 2019 - Elimination of Achievement Gaps
- Jan. 14, 2019 - Student Learning Environment
- Dec. 10, 2018 - Financial Administration
- Nov. 26, 2018 - Budget Planning
- Oct. 22, 2018 - Ready for Lifelong Success After Graduation
- Oct. 8, 2018 - Superintendent Communication to the Board
- Oct. 8, 2018 - Public Reports
- Sept. 24, 2018 - Instructional Programs
- Sept. 11,2018 - District Staff
- Aug. 13, 2018 - General Executive Constraints
- Aug. 13, 2018 - Emergency Superintendent Succession