Sorenson Early Childhood Center
Serving preschool and early learning students, Sorenson’s growth project will address a number of needs, including site circulation and adding a fully accessible and inclusive playground, to support student learning.
- Budget: $12 million
- Funded by: 2022 Capital Bond
- Est. Completion: September 2025
- Design-Build Team: NAC Architecture and Abbott Construction
February 2022: Voters approve the Capital Bond
November 2022: Progressive design builder team of NAC and Abbott Construction selected
- January and February: Community engagement on building needs. View the recording of a virtual session.
- Winter-Spring 2023: The design team met multiple times with staff and community in School Design Advisory Committee “SDAC” meetings, as well as focused user group meetings, which included students.
- October 2023: Submitting Conditional Use Permit Documents
The overarching goal of this project is to address district growth and reduce portables, improve building conditions, and improve the health and safety of the learning environment. Many decisions about the direction of the Sorenson expansion project were made in 2023 with input from the school and community, establishing the following priorities:
Reducing the number of portables and building additional permanent classrooms.
Improve building conditions with interior remodels for additional spaces needed and other minor upgrades.
Install a fully accessible and inclusive playground.
Improve site circulation and add parking.