Northshore Social-Emotional Learning Survey
Northshore School District believes that for all students to be successful, they must feel a sense of belonging and personal connection to our school communities. We are committed to providing our students the services and support needed to achieve this goal.
Students’ perception and feedback on how they experience well-being, safety and relationships, and school climate and culture is vitally important to ensuring supportive school environments for each and every Northshore student.
What is Social-Emotional Learning?
“Social-emotional learning (SEL) is an integral part of education and human development. SEL is the process through which all young people and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, manage emotions and achieve personal and collective goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain supportive relationships, and make responsible and caring decisions.”
“SEL also advances educational equity and excellence through authentic school-family-community partnerships to establish learning environments and experiences that feature trusting and collaborative relationships, rigorous and meaningful curriculum and instruction, and ongoing evaluation. SEL can help address various forms of inequity and empower young people and adults to co-create thriving schools and contribute to safe, healthy and just communities.”
- CASEL (Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning; December 2020)
How Screener, or Survey Results, are Used by Educators, Schools and the District
To assess overall school climate and culture and by different student subgroups
- Inform universal (available to all students) and targeted student supports and interventions
- Influence and plan professional learning for staff
- Equity-focused data analysis and action planning around:
- Implementing and evaluating well-being initiatives
- Developing and sustaining supportive classrooms environments
- Planning for culturally responsive social-emotional learning
- Supporting integration of social-emotional learning and instructional strategies
- Identifying system areas of strength and areas for improvement
Northshore’s SEL Screener - Supported by Panorama
Our district is partnering with a leader in social-emotional learning, Panorama Education, to survey students twice a year - once in the winter and once in the spring. Panorama has worked with Northshore staff to develop a survey that will help schools, educators, and the district better understand students’ self-perceptions and student experiences in their learning environment. This data will be used to ensure supportive school environments for each and every Northshore student.
Northshore’s SEL student screener is grouped into multiple categories
Skills and competencies
- The social, emotional, and motivational skills that help students excel in school, career, and life.
- Students’ positive and challenging feelings, as well as how supported they feel through relationships with others.
Supports and environment
- The environment in which students learn, which influences their academic success and social-emotional development.
Privacy and Identity Protection
Student results are shown in the platform at the topic level. Individual answers to questions will not be displayed. Only staff who work directly with the student(s) will have access to topic level results.
Any questions regarding the purpose of the survey or survey procedures, please contact email@example.com