Benefits & Retirement

Long Term Care - WA Cares Fund

Beginning January, 2022, employees will have a .58% deduction (58 cents for every $100 earned) deducted from their wages to fund the state's long term care program, per House Bill 1087. A typical Washington earner, making $52,075 annually, will contribute $25.17 per month.

Northshore school district does not offer long term care insurance

You may apply for an exemption of this payroll tax if you purchase a qualifying private long term care insurance plan before 11/1/2021.

Applications for exemptions must be submitted to the WA Employment Security Department (ESD) between October 1, 2021 and December 31, 2022.

New Employees

Newly-eligible employees have 31 days from their start date to enroll in the various benefit plans. If an employee does not enroll within 31 days of eligibility, the next available time to make changes or enroll dependents will be during the yearly Open Enrollment. Some benefits may have eligibility requirements that must be met in order to participate if enrollment was not completed during the first 31 days of eligibility. 

SEBB Enrollment Instructions - click here to view

If you do not enroll or waive your enrollment in SEBB medical during your first 31 days of employment, you will be enrolled by default as a single subscriber in UMP Achieve 1 (for medical), Uniform Dental Plan, MetLife Vision Plan, Basic Life and AD&D Insurance, and Basic Long Term Disability Insurance. Your dependents will not be enrolled. You will be charged a monthly $33 premium for medical coverage as well as a $25 per account monthly tobacco use premium surcharge.

If you are enrolled by default, you cannot change plans or enroll your eligible dependents until the next annual open enrollment, unless you have a special open enrollment event that allows the change.

2021 SEBB Enrollment Guide

Virtual Benefits Fair

Ask Alex - Online Benefits Advisor

SEBB My Account

DRS Webinars

To join a webinar, go to, and select "join" for the webinar that you wish to attend 10 to 15 minutes before the scheduled start time. No need to register. Most webinars include a 30 minute presentation followed by a 15 minute question and answer session.


You Are Invited to a Virtual VEBA Fair!            

Your team at Gallagher will be conducting virtual VEBA presentations in October to help give you a better understanding of the plan and answer any questions you have. Please pick a date and time that works for you. A quick presentation will be followed by a time for Q&A. Also, please see the VEBA Plan Benefits Guide for plan information.


Special Open Enrollment

Certain events let you make account changes (like changing plans or enrolling a dependent) outside of annual open enrollment. You must provide proof of the event that created the special open enrollment (for example, a marriage or birth certificate) along with the required enrollment/change forms to SEBB My Account, or the Benefits Office, no later than 60 days after the event.


Employee Online

Employee Online is a self-service module available to all district employees providing various personal and payroll information. We can view and/or update the following:

  • View current position information
  • Make address changes
  • View & print pay check stubs
  • View W2 forms
  • View/update W4 withholding information
  • View leave balances

If you are a new employee, an email will be sent with your login username information. Follow these instructions on how to create an account or recover your password.

Update Personal Contact Information in Employee Online

Please use Employee Online to keep your personal contact information up to date. The district uses this information for automated messages to notify employees in case of an emergency.

Who to Call

Danese Thaidigsman
Director of Benefits & HRIS

Toni Damron
Benefits & Retirement Analyst

Dianne Smith
Benefits & Workers' Comp Specialist

If you have a specific idea or concern you'd like addressed by the Benefits Committee, contact your bargaining unit representative, listed on this page.