Field Trips and Activities

The district's insurance provides broad coverage that protects us in most school-sponsored activities. However, there are important exclusions to consider when planning any activity (even if the district isn't incurring a monetary cost).  Especially those that fall into a high risk area (such as renting inflatable amusement rides) or field trips/camps with various outdoor activities.

The district must consider whether an activity presents an unreasonable exposure to injury for students and staff and whether there are reasonable and documentable educational objectives associated with an activity.  

When planning a field trip or activity, please allow at least six weeks before your event for gathering the required information and to allow the Risk Management Department to assist with assessing the potential risk associated with the activity.  You'll also need to allow time for the purchase order and/or contract process, and collecting vendor insurance documents.

Amusement Activities

The Amusement Activities Checklist will help you determine which activities may be approved, as well as conditions that must be met prior to reserving inflatables or participating in higher risk activities. Using the form as your guide for choosing appropriate activities will speed up the purchasing process and cut down on delays that may occur. Feel free to contact Christine Cash (x7630) if you would like assistance.

The Amusement Activities Checklist must be completed, signed by your administrator and attached to your requisition before a purchase order and contract can be issued.  

Boat Trips

If you're planning on taking students on boats, other than Washington State Ferries, a Watercraft Form is required (for our general liability coverage) and must be completed, approved by Risk Management and attached to your requisition before a purchase order and/or contract can be sent to a vendor.  

Chartering a Private Bus

Please contact the Transportation Department (x7901)  for information regarding chartering a private bus.