The Northshore School District is proud to announce the success of its students at the 2023 WMEA/WIAA State Solo and Ensemble Contest in Ellensburg on April 28-29. The event showcased the talents of some of the best student musicians from across the state, and our students gave outstanding performances.
Ninety students from Bothell, Inglemoor, North Creek, and Woodinville participated in the competition, competing in various categories such as solo performances, small ensembles, and large ensembles. The students were well-prepared and gave outstanding performances, earning top marks from the judges.
To qualify for the state competition, performers first must be named as finalists at one of the 22 regional competitions. At the state contest, students were evaluated by a panel of judges to determine the top three performances in each category.
Notably, four soloists and one ensemble were named as finalists. Congratulations to these outstanding students:
- Andrew Larsen, Bothell HS - 1st Place, Baritone Voice Solo
- Samay Sayala, Inglemoor High School - 1st Place, French Horn Solo
- Eric Schindler, Inglemoor High School - 1st Place, Cello Solo
- Dylan Swierstra, Bothell High School - 3rd Place, Tuba Solo
- Inglemoor Chamber Orchestra, Inglemoor High School - 3rd Place, Large String Ensemble: Franklin Carter, Justin Chae, Derek Chang, Emma Choi, Evelyn Chow, Eagan Craigie, Lucy Kolde, Jason Liao, Kelsey MacKenzie, Jeromy Neese, Eric Schindler, Gianna Tan, Haley van Meurs, Philippe Xue, Leah Yoon, Katelyn Yoon
"We are extremely proud of our students and their outstanding performances at the State Solo and Ensemble Contest," said Northshore School District's Music Coordinator, Charlie Fix. "They worked hard all year, practicing and refining their pieces, and it is truly gratifying to see their efforts rewarded with such success."
Northshore’s music program has long been recognized for its excellence, and the success of our students at the State Solo and Ensemble Contest is a testament to the quality of education and instruction they receive.
Congratulations to all students who participated for their hard work and dedication!