Become an Art Docent
The Art Docent Program functions as an arts enrichment program lead by volunteers during the school day once a month for an hour. Some docents may have the opportunity to come into the classroom more than once a month, dependent on their assigned teacher's scheduled. The program strives to have at least one art docent per classroom every year. Some classrooms may have more than one art docent. If there is more than one art docent, docents will arrange to divide class visits and/or support each other during monthly class visits.
While visiting a classroom, art docents lead a discussion about the artwork and artist being featured, as well as lead an art activity inspired by the artists and their work. This provides students the opportunity to explore the process of art, bring awareness of art elements and gain an appreciation of the history of art. Over the years the program has served thousands of elementary students with the support of hundreds of volunteers.
Yes! Involvement by parents and community members contributes to a successful school experience and has a positive impact on student achievement. When caring adults participate in the education of children, students achieve better grades, have better attendance, complete homework, and show higher aspirations.
- One year volunteer commitment to assigned class
- Prepare a monthly framework to present to classroom for list of approved frameworks
- All new art docents are asked attend the District Art Docent 101 Training
- All art docents are encouraged to attend training yearly at their school or at the District
- Art docents are asked to work with their school art docent coordinator to make sure all school based procedures are followed
Are you interested in learning more about being an art docent at your student's school? Please complete the form below and your school's coordinator will be notified.