The Nutrition & Fitness Advisory Committee was formed to advise district leaders on policies, environmental changes and programs needed to support healthy food choice, physical activity and childhood fitness. The team is comprised of administrators, parents, teachers, students, food service staff and other interested community members.
The committee reviews and monitors the effectiveness of district guidelines and makes recommendations to the superintendent to modify or improve guidance to improve health services for all students. Areas of focus include:
- Improving the quality and choice of food service items.
- Encouraging healthy options in school vending machines.
- Providing information districtwide about healthy food choices and active lifestyles.
- Supporting a breakfast program at all schools.
- Increasing physical activity.
- Providing consistent messaging around food and beverage and healthy eating throughout school buildings.
- Changing school culture around food-based rewards.