Nutrition & Fitness Advisory Committee
The Nutrition & Fitness Advisory Committee was formed to advise district leaders on policies, environmental changes and programs needed to support healthy food choice, physical activity and childhood fitness. The team is comprised of administrators, parents, teachers, students, food service staff and other interested community members.
The committee reviews and monitors the effectiveness of district guidelines and makes recommendations to the superintendent to modify or improve guidance to improve health services for all students. Areas of focus include:
- Improving the quality and choice of food service items.
- Encouraging healthy options in school vending machines.
- Providing information districtwide about healthy food choices and active lifestyles.
- Supporting a breakfast program at all schools.
- Increasing physical activity.
- Providing consistent messaging around food and beverage and healthy eating throughout school buildings.
- Changing school culture around food-based rewards.
Committee members come from varied backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Members will:
- Meet, at minimum, three times during the school year.
- Serve a two-year term and attend at least 80 percent of meetings.
- Share their ideas and expertise.
- Review and monitor the effectiveness of current guidelines.
- Report recommendations to the superintendent.
The committee meets three times each school year. Meetings occur in October, January and April on a Monday from 4:00 - 5:30 p.m. Specific dates and locations will be announced at a later time. Additional meetings may be added for subcommittee projects.
Director of Food and Nutrition Services