Northshore School District Attendance Policy
Regular school attendance is required and necessary if students are to succeed academically. Hollywood Hill Elementary School is committed to working with parents to ensure students regularly attend school.
Northshore School District, in compliance with Board Policy and Washington State Law, requires parents/guardians to inform the school of student absences. Please report your child's absence and reason for absence before 9:30 a.m. at 425-408-4710. Student absences need to be reported in writing, by phone, or in person at the school office. Teachers are not able to properly document planned absences in our student information system; therefore, report those absences to the office as well. In addition, due to new district guidelines, absences may not be reported by email.
Absences not excused within 2 weeks of the absence are automatically considered "unexcused." This status cannot be changed after this 2-week period.
Hollywood Hill Elementary will adhere to state law by following the Becca Bill and its provisions for unexcused absences.
The Becca Bill requires unexcused absences to be processed in the following manner:
- Inform parents in writing after one unexcused absence in one month.
- Schedule a parent conference after two unexcused absences in one month.
- Enter into a formal agreement with the student and parent regarding attendance or file a truancy petition with Juvenile Court if a student has five unexcused absences in a month.
- File a truancy petition with Juvenile Court if a student has seven unexcused absences in a month or ten unexcused absences in a year.
- File a contempt motion if a student is not in compliance with a court order resulting from a truancy petition.