Safety Patrol Handbook
Safety Patrol is an honor and privilege. It is a job of commitment and service to your school throughout the year. Please display leadership and be responsible. When on duty your duties may include assisting students into and out of cars, helping students and/or community members in crossing roads/parking lot safely and always being courteous to everyone. Whether you are on duty or off duty, you should observe the school rules and set a good example for other students at Arrowhead. Thank you for volunteering to help Arrowhead keep students safe when they are coming and going from school!
- Report for duty on time
- AM Patrol report at 9:10am for 9:15am duty until 9:28am
- PM Patrol at 4:00pm until 4:15 pm or Early Release Wednesday 2:30-2:45pm
- Wear patrol vest and helmet
- You may leave your position when the warning bell rings
- Return items neatly to the closet and proceed to class (morning) or head home (afternoon). Vest, helmets, flags and signs must be returned neatly to where they belong.
- DO NOT step out into the street (crosswalk) at all.
- Let the adult in charge at the crosswalk be your guide.
- Take a flag to use at the crosswalk.
Parking Lot Duty:
- Open car doors for students and greet everyone with a cheerful “Good Morning” and “Have a nice day” OR “Goodbye, have a nice evening”
- Stay focused on your job; safety patrol is not a time to visit with your friends.
- If you are absent unexpectedly during your duty, please call the office or email Mrs. Person: 425.408.4000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you know you can’t make one of your assigned days, it is your job to find a replacement. If you are unable to find someone to fill in for you, please let Mrs. Person know that you can’t make it and weren’t able to find someone to fill in for you.
- Please treat the equipment with care - flags should not be dragged on the ground, spun, twirled or swung. This can confuse drivers and create unsafe situations. Please hang up vests and put helmets away on the shelf. You may bring your own bike helmet to use while on duty if you prefer.
- If you have FOUR unexcused absences (no shows) from patrol you will be dismissed from patrol duty. A student who has been dismissed from patrol will not be eligible for any end of year celebrations or other benefits of Safety Patrol.
- Be in charge of the schedule - make sure all positions are accounted for and on time.
- If a patroller does not show up, please report that information to Mrs. Person in the office.
- At the end of the shift, please make sure all vests, helmets and flags are put away neatly.
When you are on duty, you will receive a schedule for the month with dates for your patrol. There will also be an online calendar on the Arrowhead website if you don’t have the paper one. It can be found under the “Student” tab - look for the safety patrol link. If you see any unsafe behavior while on duty or have any other questions, Mrs. Person is happy to help!
Thank you so much for volunteering your time and helping keep Arrowhead a safe place!