Hi! Welcome to Skyview Junior High School and the 2012-2013 school year!
My name is Shirley Wallis. I am the Skyview school counselor for the Graduating Class of 2016 (our current 9th graders) and for 8th graders whose last names begin with R - Z. This is my seventh year as a Counselor at Skyvew and it is a wonderful place to work! My previous work experience includes having been a school counselor at Inglemoor HS, Bothell HS, Woodinville HS, Woodway HS, Mountlake Terrace HS, Canyon Park JH, Brier Middle School (and Brier JH), as well as several years as a Juvenile Probation Officer in an alternative school setting. Skyview is truly one of my favorite places!
Some info for 9th graders and parents/guardians of 9th graders:
- Although housed in a junior high building, 9th graders ARE high school students. All courses a student takes from 9th grade on (whether or not the student received a passing grade) will be entered on the student's official transcript at the end of each semester. A transcript is an offical document of a student's academic coursework, grades, and credits. Colleges, universities, scholarship committees, and employers often require an official transcript when considering a candidate. As you can tell, this is an important record of a student's achievement.
- High school graduation requirements are determined by the state of Washington and each school district. The following link will take you to the course, credit, and testing requirements that must be successfully completed to earn a Northshore School District high school diploma. http://www.nsd.org/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=64464&&
- Please do take advantage of the information the teachers post on their web pages regarding their classes. Many will post a calendar showing when assignments are due, provide supplementary information and research, as well as list links where a student might access demonstrations or explanations of math problems, science experiments, historical videos, rules for various PE activities, synopses of literature----and more! We don't all learn the same way. Take advantage of additional materials that supplement the concepts being taught.
- Students and parents are encouraged to check online grades. At Open House Wednesday, September 12 parents will have the opprortunity to pick up a copy of their password needed to access the Parent Assist site. Teachers update their online grade information at various times. If you would like to connect directly with a teacher you may call them (phone numbers available on the main SJH site) or email them. All staff email addresses are the first letter of the person's first name followed by the staff member's last email@example.com. For example, my email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All students in the Northshore School District will participate in activities preparing them to be career and/or college ready. Within their English classes, 9th graders will be guided through a website entitled, Career Cruising, allowing them to take a career interest survey, examine various types of occupations, and become familiar with requirements for entrance into apprenticeship programs, colleges, universities, and/or various occupational fields of interest. Try it out! http://public.careercruising.com/us/en Name = skyview Password = eagles
Let's have a terrific year. Don't forget---Open House, Wednesday, September 12. Shirley Wallis