We sure have had fun exploring snails!
How do snails move?
• What do snails do when you put them in a cup?
• Do snails move up? Down? Sideways?
• Can snails travel upside down? Backward?
• How does it feel when a snail moves on your hand?
• What does the snail do when you pick it up by the shell?
• How can you tell where a snail has been? [It leaves a mucous trail.]
• What does the shell look like?
• Do snails have heads? Tails?
• What do you see sticking out from the head? [Tentacles.]
• How many tentacles do you see? [Four-two long and two short.]
• What happens to the tentacles when you touch them gently?
• Do snails have eyes? Ears? A nose? A mouth?
• How do snails breathe? [On the underside of the snail close to the shell, there is a hole that opens and
closes to let air in.]
• Where is the foot of the snail? [The large surface on which the snail moves.]
• How does the foot move? [Wavelike motions, visible when the snail moves on the surface of a cup.]